One of the key considerations for individuals and businesses looking to invest in solar power is the solar payback period – the time it takes for the savings from solar energy to equal the initial investment. Understanding this period is crucial for evaluating the financial viability and long-term benefits of installing solar panels in Australia.
Ready to upgrade your solar panels and take your energy savings to the next level? Embrace the energy efficiency revolution by upgrading your solar panels, battery storage, or solar inverters with Energy Matters.
With our 3 free solar quotes, you can compare plans from pre-qualified and vetted installers in your area and find the perfect solution for your home and business. Harness the sun’s power and save money on electricity bills while reducing environmental impact. Let Energy Matters guide you towards a brighter, more sustainable future.
Australia’s average payback for solar panels
The good news is Australia’s sunny disposition translates well to solar energy. The average payback period for a solar panel system in Australia hovers around 4 years, with some systems potentially reaching breakeven as early as 1.5 years. However, like a good Aussie barbeque, several factors can influence the cooking time:
- Location: Sunshine hours vary dramatically across the country, with Darwin basking in more sunlight than Hobart. This directly impacts how much energy your panels generate and your savings and payback period.
- System size: A larger system means higher upfront costs, potentially greater energy production, and faster payback. However, ensure your roof can handle the weight and your budget can handle the initial investment. Read more about Solar Panel Sizes, Dimensions And Wattage.
- Electricity consumption: High energy users will naturally see their bills (and payback period) shrink faster than those with lower consumption.
- System cost and quality: Prices can vary based on equipment, warranties, and installation companies. Opting for high-quality panels and reputable installers may cost more upfront but offer better efficiency and longevity, ultimately reducing your payback period.
- Government incentives: Generous rebates and feed-in tariffs offered by state and federal governments significantly reduce the cost of solar systems, accelerating payback. These incentives, however, are subject to change, so stay informed about current programs.
- System efficiency and maintenance: Choose high-quality panels and inverters for optimal performance—factor in potential maintenance costs for long-term calculations.
Experience a new level of energy savings with Energy Matters Marketplace – your one-stop shop for renewable energy products and more whether you’re looking for solar panels, battery storage or outdoor or indoor products.
Beyond the payback: A brighter outlook
While the payback period is a crucial metric, it shouldn’t be the sole focus when considering solar. Here are some additional benefits to consider:
- Reduced electricity bills: Even before reaching payback, solar panels start chipping away at your energy bills, leading to long-term savings.
- Increased property value: Homes with solar panels often appeal more to buyers, potentially boosting your property value.
- Environmental benefits: Solar power is a clean and renewable energy source, reducing your carbon footprint and contributing to a greener future.
With careful planning and a system tailored to your needs, solar can be a sound investment in Australia. While the average payback period is around 4 years, consider the broader benefits and long-term savings potential. By harnessing the sun’s power, you can save money and contribute to a more sustainable future for yourself and your community.
Bonus tip: Don’t hesitate to compare quotes from multiple solar installers to ensure you get the best deal and system for your needs.
So, bask in the Australian sunshine and let solar power your home!
Looking to save extra with solar and battery storage?
Looking to save extra with your Sungrow, GoodWe or Tesla Powerwall 2 installed solar battery*? Origin and Energy Matters have teamed up to provide customers with an additional way to save and make money!
Join Origin Loop VPP as an Origin electricity customer and earn a $400 bonus! Earn $1/kWh during peak demand by letting them draw on your battery-stored solar energy.
You’ll also enjoy a 13 c/kWh feed-in tariff^ and enjoy full transparency through the Origin app. No lock-ins; leave anytime, and your yearly energy export is capped at 200kWh. Win-win for you and the grid!
If you already have solar and a battery*, then sign up today! If you don’t, get up to 3 obligation-free quotes by getting in touch with us right away.
*Your battery must be eligible to participate. | ^Feed-in tariff rates are subject to change at any time. All FIT amounts include GST where applicable.